The formulae of four organic compounds are shown below. Choose the correct option
- A and B are unsaturated hydrocarbons
- C and D are saturated hydrocarbons
- Addition of hydrogen in presence of catalyst changes A to C
- Addition of potassium permanganate changes B to D
- Saturated hydrocarbons are hydrocarbons that only have a single bond between two carbon atoms,
- Unsaturated hydrocarbons are hydrocarbons with at least one double or triple bond between two carbon atoms.
- Compound A is ethene .
- The Addition of Hydrogen to a compound in the presence of a catalyst is known as hydrogenation .
- The following reaction will take place when Hydrogenation of compound A takes place.
- The resultant is Ethane (Compound C) .
- The addition of potassium permanganate to a hydrocarbon results in its oxidation (to alcohol, aldehyde or carboxylic acid)
- It does not cause reduction .
Therefore, the correct answer is (c) Addition of hydrogen in presence of catalyst changes A to C