(a) What is the role of concentrated Sulphuric acid when it is heated with Ethanol at 443 K. Give the reaction involved.
(b) Reshu by mistake forgot to label the two test tubes containing Ethanol and Ethanoic acid. Suggest an experiment to identify the substances correctly? Illustrate the reactions with the help of chemical equations
(a) Sulphuric acid acts as a dehydrating agent .
- This means it removes Water from the compound.
- We can differentiate ethanol and ethanoic acid by r eaction of the samples with sodium carbonate/ bi carbonate ( 1M ).
- Ethanol will not react whereas ethanoic acid will give brisk effervescence (fizz, bubbles).
The corresponding reactions are given as:
- 2CH 3 COOH + Na 2 CO 3 → 2CH 3 COONa + H 2 O+ CO 2
- CH 3 COOH + NaHCO₃ → CH 3 COONa + H 2 O + CO 2