A lot of waste is generated in neighborhood. However, almost all of it is biodegradable. What impact will it have on the environment or human health?
- Biodegradable wastes are generally not harmful to the environment as they get decomposed to form simpler substances and make soil more fertile .
- But, excess generation of biodegradable wastes can be harmful .
- This is because decomposition is a slow process .
- The same amount of bacteria have to decompose an increased amount of waste, which decreases the speed further and leads to production of foul smells and gases .
- It can also be the breeding ground for germs, mosquitos and diseases that create unhygienic conditions.