Cyclic Hydrocarbons are arranged in the form of a ring. They can be both saturated and unsaturated .
Example - Cyclohexane , Benzene
- The formula of Cyclohexane is C 6 H 12 .
- There are 6 carbon atoms and 12 Hydrogen Atoms and they both form single bonds with each other, arranged in a ring.
Note : Since there are only single bonds between the carbon atoms, Cyclohexane is saturated .
- The formula of Benzene is C 6 H 6
- In this case, there are 6 carbon atoms and 6 hydrogen atoms
- There are 3 double bonds and 3 single bonds
Note: Since there is a double bond in the structure, it is unsaturated.
Branched Chain Saturated Hydrocarbons:
Hydrocarbons are the compounds containing carbon and hydrogen.
- Since carbon has the tendency to form compounds with itself , branches of carbon atoms sometimes attach themselves to a carbon chain.
- When there is no double/triple bond in the compound formed , it is called a branched chain of saturated hydrocarbons.
2 Methyl Propane (Also called Isobutane )
2 MethylButane (Also called Isopentane )