Carbon atoms have the unique ability to form bonds with other carbon atoms .
- These carbon atoms connect atom to atom to form long chains . This property is known as Catenation .
- Catenation is an extremely useful property as it gives rise to a large number of Carbon compounds.
- These compounds are also known as Organic compounds .
Carbon not only forms bonds with itself but also other atoms.
- Since Carbon is a small atom , the electrons experience a strong force of attraction from Carbon’s nuclei.
- Hence, it forms very strong bonds .
- Formation of strong covalent bonds by carbon atoms with themselves and other atoms leads to the formation of extremely stable compounds .