- Puberty is the process of physical changes through which a child's body matures into an adult body capable of sexual reproduction.
- The age at which the sex hormones or gametes begin to be produced in males and females is known as puberty .
- The various changes that occur during this period.
Puberty in Boys
- The voice becomes deep.
- They become muscular.
- Growth of hair is seen in the regions like armpits, genitals, chest and face.
- Chest and shoulders broaden.
- Penis and testes become larger
These changes in males are brought about by the hormone Testosterone produced in testes.
Puberty in girls
- Mammary glands or breasts develop and enlarge
- Voice becomes shrill
- Growth of hair is seen in areas like armpits and genitals
- The thighs and hips broaden due to deposition of fats in these regions
- Fallopian tubes, Vagina and uterus enlarge
- Ovary starts releasing eggs and menstruation begins .
These changes in females are caused by the action of hormones estrogen and progesterone .