Sexual Reproduction in Flowering Plants
Flower is the main reproductive organ of all the angiosperms . Angiosperms are flower bearing plants in which the seed is enclosed inside a fruit.
- A flower has various different parts which include petals, sepals, stamens and pistils .
- Out of this, pistils and stamens are the main reproductive parts and contain germ cells or the sex cells.
- The pistil has the female gamete and the stamen has male gamete.
A plant may be:
- Having either pistil or stamen
- Only one of the gametes is present (ether male or female)
- Eg. Papaya, Watermelon
- Having both pistil and stamen
- Male and female gametes are present in the same flower
- Eg. Hibiscus, Mustard