What are some ways in which caste demonstrates itself in politics?
Points to Remember
- Parties choose candidates in elections, they keep in mind the caste composition.
- Representatives of different castes.
- Political parties and candidates in election s use caste sentiment.
- Political parties are known to favor some castes.
Answer to be written in exam
By bringing caste into the political sphere, politics also has an impact on caste identities and the caste system. Ways in which caste demonstrates itself in politics are as follows:
- When parties choose candidates in elections, they keep in mind the caste composition of the electorate and nominate candidates from different castes so as to muster the necessary support to win elections.
- When governments are formed, political parties usually take care that representatives of different castes and tribes find a place in it.
- Political parties and candidates in elections make appeals to caste sentiment to gather support to win the elections .
- Some political parties are known to favor some castes and are seen as their representatives.
Write any 2 points.