In the reaction of iron with copper sulphate solution: CuSO 4 + Fe ---> Cu + FeSO 4 Which option in the given table correctly represents the substance oxidised and the reducing agent?
Our reaction looks like
- Addition of oxygen is known as oxidation
- Removal of oxygen is known as reduction.
Since in the equation
- Oxygen is being removed from CuSO 4
- and is added to Fe.
Therefore, Fe is undergoing oxidation
- The substance which oxidises the other substances in a chemical reaction is known as an oxidising agent.
- Likewise, the substance which reduces the other substance in a chemical reaction is known as a reducing agent.
Here, Fe acts as reducing agent
Therefore, Fe is undergoing oxidation and Fe is the reducing agent.
So, the correct answer is (A)