Check sibling questions

Ex 16.3, 18 - In Class XI of a school 40% students study Maths - Using formulae of sets

Ex 16.3, 18 - Chapter 16 Class 11 Probability - Part 2
Ex 16.3, 18 - Chapter 16 Class 11 Probability - Part 3


Transcript

Ex 16.3, 18 In Class XI of a school 40% of the students study Mathematics and 30% study Biology. 10% of the class study both Mathematics and Biology. If a student is selected at random from the class, find the probability that he will be studying Mathematics or Biology. Let B be the event of student studying biology. & M be the event of student studying maths Hence Probability student study maths = 40% P(M) = 40 % = 40﷮100﷯ = 0.4 Probability student study biology = 30% P(B) = 30% = 30﷮100﷯ = 0.3 Given Students who study both maths and biology are 10% Hence P (M ∩ B) = 10% = 10﷮100﷯ = 0.10 We need to find probability student studying either math or biology i.e. P(M ∪ B) We know that P(M ∪ B) = P(M) + P(B) – P(M∩B) Putting values = 0.4 + 0.3 – 0.10 = 0.7 – 0.10 = 0.6 Hence, probability student studying either math or biology = 0.6

Davneet Singh's photo - Co-founder, Teachoo

Made by

Davneet Singh

Davneet Singh has done his B.Tech from Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur. He has been teaching from the past 12 years. He provides courses for Maths, Science, Social Science, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science at Teachoo.