How had a variety of cultural processes developed a sense of collective belongingness in India during the 19th century? Explain with examples.
Points to Remember
- Image of Bharat Mata.
- ‘Vande Mataram’ as a hymn to the motherland.
- The Folklore of Southern India .
- a tricolor flag was designed.
- Folklore and tales - true image of traditional culture .
Answer to be written in the exam
- In the twentieth century , with the growth of nationalism , the identity of India came to be visually associated with the image of Bharat Mata.
- In the 1870s Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay wrote ‘Vande Mataram’ as a hymn to the motherland.
- In Madras , Natesa Sastri published a massive four-volume collection of Tamil folk tales, The Folklore of Southern India .
- During the Swadeshi movement in Bengal , a tricolor flag (red, green and yellow) was designed.
- Folklore and tales provided a true image of traditional culture .