Who had organized the dalits into the 'Depressed classes Association in 1930? Describe his achievements.
Points to Remember
- Dr B.R. Ambedkar organized the Depressed Classes Association in 1930
- British government conceded Ambedkar’s demand
- separate electorates posed a problem
- Poona Pact was signed in September 1932.
- reserved seats in provincial and legislative councils
Answer to be written in the exam
- Dr B.R. Ambedkar , who organised the dalits into the Depressed Classes Association in 1930 , clashed with Mahatma Gandhi at the second Round Table Conference by demanding separate electorates for Dalits .
- The British government conceded Ambedkar’s demand , and Gandhi began a fast unto death .
- Gandhiji believed that the separate electorates would slow down the process of their integration into society.
- B. R Ambedkar accepted Gandhiji's proposals and as a result, Poona Pact was signed in September 1932.
- The Pact gave the Depressed Classes (later to be known as Scheduled Castes) reserved seats in provincial and legislative councils , but they were to be voted in by the general electorate.