Why did Gandhiji decide to launch a nationwide ‘Satyagraha’ against the proposed Rowlatt Act (1919)? How was it opposed or organised? Explain.
Points to Remember
Nationwide satyagraha against the Rowlatt Act by following reasons:
- Rowlatt Act had been hurriedly passed
- gave the government enormous powers
- violating the civil rights of Indians.
It is opposed in the following ways
- Rallies were organized , and Workers went on strike.
- Police in Amritsar fired upon a peaceful procession.
Answer to be written in exam
Gandhi Ji decided to launch nationwide satyagraha against Rowlatt Act in 1919 because of the following reasons:
- This Act had been hurriedly passed through the Imperial Legislative Council despite the united opposition of the Indian members.
- It gave the government enormous powers to repress political activities , and allowed detention of political prisoners without trial for two years.
- The terms and condition s of the Rowlatt act were violating the civil rights of Indians.
It is opposed in the following ways.
- Rallies were organised in various cities. Workers went on strike in railway workshops , and shops closed down.
- On 10 April , the police in Amritsar fired upon a peaceful procession, provoking widespread attacks on banks , post offices and railway stations.