When we add salt to water, it dissolves. So, it becomes a solution.
But, when we add sand to water, it doesn't dissolve. Then, it becomes a suspension.
What is Suspension?
It is a heterogeneous mixture of small particles of solid in liquid
In this case, particles of solid do not dissolve in liquid but spread throughout the liquid
Mixture of chalk and Water
Chalk particles do not dissolve in water but spread evenly throughout the water
Mixture of Sand and Water
Sand Particles do not dissolve in water, they spread evenly throughout the water
Properties of Suspension
- It is heterogeneous mixture
- Size of solid particles is comparatively large (more than 100 nm) , so they can be seen easily
- Particles can be separated by filtration (using filter paper)
- Particles are not stable , they settle down after some time
- It shows Tyndall Effect ; if a beam of light passes through a suspension, it scatters it