Some properties are
They are formed by
mixing of 2 or more substances. (
These may be elements or compounds)
For example : Lemonade is made by mixing lemon juice, water and sugar.
The substances are
not chemically combined
in a mixture
For example: Let us consider the water and sugar in the lemonade. The molecules are merely present in the solution without forming bonds.
A mixture has
(Ratio of 2 or more substances may not be the same)
For example: The amount of lemon extract, sugar, water can vary while making the lemonade. Though the ratio of ingredients varies, the mixture remains lemonade.
shows properties of substances it is made up of
For example : Sugar which is a sweet substance, and on being added to lemon juice.. it makes the mixture sweet
Different Elements of Mixtures can be
separated by Physical methods
(like Filtration, Sublimation, Evaporation etc.)
For Example : We can separate sugar from lemon water using Distillation
- If we put salt in water , it is a mixture
- It does not form a new substance chemically.
- It is possible to separate salt from water by using physical methods like evaporation.
- Air is a mixture of different gases like Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide, Nitrogen etc.
- It is possible to separate these different gases by using physical methods