Mixtures are of 2 types:
- Homogeneous Mixtures
- Heterogeneous Mixtures
What are Homogeneous Mixtures?
- Homogeneous Mixtures are those in which different substances are completely mixed together.
- This means they have uniform composition throughout.
- It is difficult to distinguish different substances from each other
- We are able to see different particles in a homogeneous mixture clearly
If we mix salt in water and stir it with a spoon
it forms a homogeneous mixture
We are not able to see salt particles separately from mixture
What are Heterogeneous Mixtures?
- It is a mixture which has physically distinct parts
(different particles of mixture are easily visible)
- Such mixtures have non uniform composition throughout the mixture
- We are able to recognize individual particles by looking at a mixture
Mixture of Oil and Water is a heterogeneous Mixture
We are able to see oil and water clearly separately in the mixture
Mixture of Salt (Sodium Chloride) and Iron filings is a heterogeneous mixture
The particles of salt and Iron filings can be seen and distinguished easily
Difference between Homogeneous and heterogeneous mixtures
Individual components of mixture cannot be seen and distinguished easily
Individual components of mixture can be seen and distinguished easily.
They may or may not have a variable composition
(Different Particles may be in same or different ratio throughout the mixture)
They have a variable composition
(Different Particles are in different ratio throughout the mixture)
Mixture of Salt and Water
Mixture of Salt and Iron Filings
Note - Heterogeneous and homogeneous mixture may be a Matter of Scale
It means that a mixture may look homogeneous from a distance
But if we look closely with help of a microscope, it may appear to be heterogeneous mixture
(We may be able to identify individual component clearly)
Example - Blood may look homogeneous but if we examine it with help of a microscope, we may be able to identify individual components
Types of Homogeneous and Heterogeneous Mixtures
Type of Homogeneous Mixture
Different Types of Heterogeneous Mixtures
They are of 2 types