What is a Solution?
It is a homogeneous mixture of 2 or more substances
- If we dissolve salt in water , it forms a solution
- Here, Salt and Water are called components of the solution
- Water is called Solvent and Salt is called Solute of a solution
Properties of a Solution
It is a mixture in which different substances are completely and uniformly mixed together , it is difficult to distinguish different substances from each other.
Particles of the solution
are very small -
They are less than 1 nm (10 -9 meter) in diameter. These are so small that they can't be seen by naked eyes
Particles of Solution
do not scatter a beam of light
If light passes through a solution, the particles of the solution don't scatter it; they do not show Tyndall Effect.
cannot be separated by filtration -
Solute particles do not settle down. Hence, we can't use filter to separate them
Is Solution only of One Liquid and One Solid?
Solution can contain any state of matter
- Gas in Liquid Solution - Aerated Drinks (Cold drinks) contain carbon dioxide (gas) as solute and flavoured water (liquid) as solvent
- Liquid in Liquid Solution - Ethyl Alcohol in Water
- Gas in Gas Solution - Air is also a solution . Main components are Nitrogen and Oxygen ( Other components are present in lesser quantities)
Solid in Liquid Solution
- Solution of Salt in Water (Water is solvent, Salt is solute)
- Solution of Sugar in Water (Water is solvent, Sugar is solute)
Iodine in Alcohol
(Alcohol is solvent,Iodine is Solute) - Also called
tincture of Iodine