How was the social and political situation of India affected by the First World War? Explain.
- Impact was disastrous.
- War created tensions.
- Defense expenditure increased; Income tax introduced.
- Prices doubled, life of common people became hard.
- Crops failed, influenza epidemic spread.
- Millions died.
Answer to be written in exam :
- The impact of the First World War on India was disastrous.
- The war created new economic and political tensions in the country.
- It led to a huge increase in defense expenditure which was financed by war loans and increasing taxes: customs duties were raised and income tax introduced.
- During the war years prices increased and doubled between 1913 and 1918 which led to extreme hardship for the common people.
- Villages were called upon to supply soldiers, and people were forcefully recruited in rural areas, this caused widespread anger.
- Crops failed in many parts of India, resulting in acute shortages of food.
- This was accompanied by an influenza epidemic.
- Millions died as a result of Hunger,famines and the Epidemic.
- ( ANY 3 POINTS )