Wind is caused due to unequal heating of land and water bodies by the sun.
This unequal heating generates air movement and causes winds to blow.
This kinetic energy of wind is used to generate wind energy from a windmill
Windmill is just like a large fan at some height.
Wind causes the blades to rotate
which in turn rotates the turbine of the electric generator
And electrical energy is produced.
The output of single windmill is small and does not produce much electricity.
Therefore, a large number of wind-mills is erected over a large area to produce electricity.
These are known as Wind Energy farms
The energy output of all the windmills in a wind energy farm is added to produce electricity commercially.
Advantages of using Wind Energy
- Wind Energy is an environment friendly and renewable source of energy
Disadvantages of using Wind Energy
- Wind Energy farms can only be established where wind blows for a greater part of the year
- Wind speed required to rate the turbine should be higher than 15 km/hr
- There should be some storage cells to take care of energy needs when there is no wind
- Establishment of Wind Energy farms require a large area of land. To establish 1 MW generator, farm needs 2 hectares of land
- Initial Cost of Establishment of Wind Farms is high
- Since tower and blades are exposed to Nature, they should be highly maintained in case of rain, cyclone, extreme temperatures