What factors could lead to the rise of a new species?
Factors that would lead to the rise of a new species are:
- Natural Selection
- Genetic Drift
- Geographical isolation of a population (lack of gene flow)
This can be explained as follows:
- The variation became a common characteristic due to its survival advantage .
- This is known as Natural Selection - An adaptation to fit in the environment better.
- A new species emerged as a result of natural selection.
- Natural Selection was introduced as a concept by Charles Darwin.
- Accidents in small populations can change the frequency of some genes in a population
- This is known as Genetic Drift .
- This can result in the emergence of new species.
- Here, a geographical divide (a river) separates the populations .
- Since the individuals of different populations cannot mate easily, gene flow (movement of genes from one population to another) between them will decrease.
- The individual population will evolve differently, forming different species .