Why are traits acquired during the life-time of an individual not inherited?
- Acquired traits do not have any genetic change occurring: there is no change in the reproductive cells , change is only in the non-reproductive cells.
- Thus these traits are not passed on from one generation to another.
- For Example -
- Reduction in weight is an acquired trait .
- Due to environmental stress (availability of less food), the weight of beetles is reduced.
- Once conditions became normal again, the initial weight was restored .
- There is no characteristic evolution in this case.
To inherit a trait,
- A genetic change would have to be carried from one generation to another due to genetic drift or natural selection. That cannot happen during a single lifetime .