Sexual vs Asexual Reproduction- Which is better?
IDENTICAL OFFSPRINGS PRODUCED IN ASEXUAL REPRODUCTION
- In asexual reproduction , genetically identical offsprings (also called clones ) are produced and the only source of variation is any inaccuracy in copying DNA .
- Therefore, we can say that the organisms which reproduce asexually have very slight variations in their DNA.
- Since the environment is constantly changing, it is important for an organism to change accordingly in order to survive. So, these variations are extremely important.
- Also, if all the organisms of a given species are exactly identical, then their extinction to adverse conditions becomes higher.
OFFSPRINGS ARE NOT COMPLETELY IDENTICAL IN SEXUAL REPRODUCTION
- In case of sexual reproduction , the fusion of male and female gametes gives rise to the offspring which is similar but not completely identical to the parent.
- This is because the offspring gets DNA from both its parents , so the chances of variation are very high.
- Therefore the species are able to adapt to the changing environments faster.
- Hence, we can say that sexual reproduction provides genetic diversity which is important for survival.