Describe all the methods of vegetative propagation.
Layering method of vegetative propagation-
( Layering method of vegetative propagation)
- It is asexual method of reproduction in which an y branch part of plant is pegged down and coveted with moist soil.
- After some time , new roots will grow to that part of the branch.
- This branch will be separated from the parent plant and planted separately.
- This method is used for the propagation of lemon, guava,strawberry,jasmine etc.
Cutting methods of vegetative propagation
- The small pieces of parts of plants like stem , leaves and roots are cut of f and then placed in moist soil for propagation .
- The new plant formed from cutting is exactly similar to the parent plant .
- This method is used for the propagation of sugarcane(stem), raspberry (root) Bougainvillea(stems) etc.
- It is a method in which stems are cut off of different plants ( one with roots and other without roots) are joined together by rubber band or tape in such a way that they form a continuous vascular bundle and grow as a single plan t.
- The cut stem of a plant having roots is called stock(lower part of plant) and the stem of another plant without roots is called scion(upper part of plant) .
- This method is used for the propagation of apple, peach,mango,pear etc.
Tissue culture method of vegetative method
- The production of new plants from a small piece of plant tissue removed from the growing tips of a plant in a suitable growth medium called culture solution is called tissue culture.
- It is a very fast technique . Thousands of plantlets can be produced in a few weeks time from a small amount of plant tissue.
- The new plants produced by tissue culture are disease free.