- Indian desert lies towards the western margins of Aravalli hills.
- It is an undulating sandy plain covered with sand dunes.
- This region receives very low rainfall 150mm per year. It has arid climate with low vegetation.
- Streams appear during rainy season and disappear into the sand soon as they do not have enough water to reach the sea.
- Luni is the only large river in this region.
- Barchans are crescent-shaped sand dunes produced by the action of wind predominately from one direction.
- They cover larger areas but longitudinal dunes become more prominent near the Indo Pakistan boundary. These are also visible in Jaisalmer.
The Indian Desert - Concepts - Chapter 2 Class 9 Geography - Physical Features of India - Geography
Last updated at Aug. 1, 2023 by Teachoo