The main goals and aspects of development are-
Different people can have different development goals
- Different persons have different notions of development and development goals because life situations of people are different .
- They seek things that are most important to them i.e which can fulfill their aspirations or desires.
- For example- Development goal of a landless rural laborer may be to get more days of work, better wages , etc.
whereas a prosperous farmer would aspire for a high family income through higher support prices for his crops , hardworking and cheap laborers, etc.
People can have common goals
- Factors other than income are important aspects to ensure “Quality of Life”
People have conflicting development goals
- Two persons or groups of persons, at times may seek conflicting things .
- What may be developed for one may not be developed for the other . It may even be destructive to others.
- For example-
- A girl expects as much freedom and opportunity as her brother and that he also shares in the household work . Her brother may not like this.
- Similarly, to get more electricity , industrialists may want more dams . But, this may submerge the land and disrupt the lives of people who are displaced such as tribals. They might resent this and prefer small check dams to irrigate the land.