- It is the declaration signed by world leaders in 1992 at the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED) , which took place at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- It aims at achieving global sustainable development.
- It is an agenda with the aim to combat environmental damage , poverty , disease .
- One major objective of Agenda 21 is that every local government should draw its own local Agenda 21.
- A non-binding action plan of the UN for sustainable development
- Involves various actors, such as governments, NGOs, local authorities, indigenous peoples, and businesses
- Full implementation reaffirmed at the 2002 World Summit on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg, South Africa
Objective of Agenda 21