(a) Describe the process of seed formation in a flowering plant.
- The process of seed formation in plants starts when the pollen (male gamete) from the stamen is transferred to the stigma .
- The pollen tube germinates and penetrates the style to reach the ovary (contains egg - female gamete).
- The male germ cell and the female germ cells combine to form the zygote .
- The zygote undergoes rapid division to form the embryo inside the ovule.
- The ovule develops a seed coat and turns into a seed .