Identify the endothermic reaction(s) among the following:
A. only P
B. only S
C. only Q and R
D. only P and S
An Endothermic reaction is one where we need to supply energy for the reaction to take place.
Exothermic Reactions give out energy when the reactions take place.
P. This reaction is Photosynthesis .
- Photosynthesis is an endothermic reaction as it requires energy (in the form of sunlight) to proceed.
Q. This is a reaction between an acidic (HCl) and a basic (Na2CO3) compound.
- This type of reaction is known as neutralisation reaction.
- A neutralisation reaction is always exothermic in nature.
- It releases heat , and forms water and salt.
R . C6H12O6 is the chemical formula for Glucose .
- When oxygen is added to glucose, it breaks down into Carbon Dioxide and Water and releases energy . It is therefore Exothermic.
- This energy is what we use to do everyday tasks.
- The reaction is called Aerobic Respiration .
S. This is a decomposition reaction.
- A decomposition reaction is always endothermic in nature as we require extra energy to break bonds.
Therefore, the correct answer is D.