Lime water turns cloudy in the presence of a gas which is a by-product of respiration. Shown below are four setups kept in sunlight for 24 hours
In which setup is lime water expected to be the cloudiest?
A. Setup P
B. Setup Q
C. Setup R
D. Setup S
- Limewater turns milky / cloudy in the presence of Carbon Dioxide .
- Limewater would be cloudiest in a setup with a plant as it would produce carbon dioxide.
- The carbon dioxide is produced as a result of respiration and not photosynthesis.
- Thus it would still be present in the black coated tank .
- In the tank without the black paint, photosynthesis would take place. The plant would consume some of the CO2 to produce oxygen.
Thus, the lime water in set R would be most milky.
Therefore, the correct answer is C .