Explain the measures and practices introduced by the French Revolutionaries to create a sense of collective identity amongst the French people.
Points to Remember
The measures and practices of French revolutionaries were
- The ideas of la patrie and le citoyen
- A new French flag was introduced
- The Estate general were elected
- Hymns were composed
- Centralized administrative system
- Abolition of I nternal custom duties and dues
Use any 3 points and elaborate on them
Answer to be written in the exam
From the very beginning, the French revolutionaries introduced various measures and practices that could create a sense of collective identity amongst the French people.
- To create a notion of a united community enjoying equal rights the idea of la patrie ( the fatherland) and the idea of le citoyen ( the citizen) were given more importance.
- To replace the former royal standard which was prevailing in the society a new French flag, the tricolor was chosen .
- Before the revolution citizens were not having rights , however after the revolution the body of active citizens elected the Estates General .