How would you name the following compounds?
1). Since the structure has 2 carbon atoms connected only by single bonds , hence we will call it ‘ ethane ’.
- A Br atom is attached to the chain.
- We start counting from both ends of the chain. From one end we get, 2 Bromo-ethane , and from the other end we get, 1-Bromo ethane.
- We always take the count where the functional group has the least count (position).
- Hence, the compound is named as, 1-Bromo ethane.
2). There is a single carbon atom hence, we use Meth and an aldehyde group present, so we add - al, combining we get Methanal.
3). 6 carbon atoms are present, hence we use ‘hex’.
- There is a Triple bond at the 1st position . Why not the 6th position? Because we always take the count where the functional group has the least count (position).
- Hence, we get Hex-1-yne.