What will be the formula and electron dot structure of cyclopentane?
- a 5 carbon (pent) compound,
- in a cyclic (ring) structure (cyclo) ,
- with single bonded carbons(-ane).
Let’s draw it’s electron dot structure
- To draw its electron dot structure, we will first draw the electron dot structures of 5 carbon atoms, in a ring.
- Each carbon atom must have 4 more electrons to complete its octet .
- Now, each carbon atom is surrounded by two other carbon atoms.
- Each of the two carbon atoms can share two of their electrons with the neighboring atom, and complete its octet.
- The same logic is followed by each atom in the ring.
Its electron dot structure will hence look like:
And the formula for cyclopentane is: C 5 H 10