Electroscope is a device used to detect electric charge in an object
- Take a glass container
- Cover the glass jar with a cardboard and make a small hole in it to insert a metal wire or a metallic paper clip.
- Insert a metal wire or a metallic paper clip inside it
- Attach two metal plates (like - aluminium foil leaves) on the end of the wire/paper clip which is inside the glass jar as in figure.
- The end of the wire/clip which is outside the jar is used to measure electric charge
- Bring a charged object in contact with the end of the wire/paper clip which is outside the jar.
- The charges get transferred by the metal wire/paper clip since it is a good conductor.
- The same charge gets transferred to the aluminium foil leaves.
- Since both the aluminium foil leaves will be of the same charge, they repel each other. This would confirm the presence of charge on the object.