Establish the difference between commercial farming and subsistence farming with the help of a suitable example.
Points to remember
- Practiced on the large farms.
- Use of more modern agricultural inputs
- Commercialization of agriculture varies
- Well-established network of transportation and communication
- primary goal - high crop productivity
- In Haryana , rice is a commercial crop .
- Practiced on small patches of land .
- Use primitive / traditional tools
- Labour-intensive farming .
- Productivity is very low
- The primary goal - To produce food for their own consumption
- Rice is a subsistence crop in Odisha .
Answer to be written in the Exam
- Commercial farming is practiced on the large farms.
- In commercial farming , farmers use more modern agricultural inputs such as High yielding varieties seeds(HYVs seeds), fertilizers, farming tools, etc
- The commercialization of agriculture varies from region to region.
- It is characterized by a well-established network of transportation and communication
- The primary goal of commercial farming is high crop productivity.
- For instance, In Haryana , rice is a commercial crop
- Subsistence farming is practiced on small patches of land .
- Farmers use primitive/traditiona l tool for cultivation.
- It is a Labour- intensive farming .
- In this type of farming, productivity is very low
- The primary goal of subsistence farming is that farmers produce crops for their own consumption
- For instance: Rice is a subsistence crop in Odisha .