This question was asked in [Board Term-II, (OD Set-II) 2015]
Describe the spread of Non-Cooperation Movement in the countryside.
Points to Remember
Non-Cooperation Movement spread in the countryside:
- In Awadh , peasants were led by Baba Ramchandra
- Movement was against the Talukdars and landlords
- Peasants had to do begar
- no right over the leased land.
- The peasant movement demanded reduction of revenue.
- Nai - Dhobi bandhs were organised
- Oudh Kisan Sabha headed by Jawaharlal Nehru and Baba Ramchandra.
We use any 3 points and elaborate on them
Answer to be written in the exam
- In Awadh , peasants were led by Baba Ramchandra - a sanyasi who had earlier been to Fiji as an indentured labourer.
- The movement was against the Talukdars and landlords who demanded exorbitantly high rents and a variety of other cesses from the peasants .
- Peasants had to do begar and work at landlord’s farms without any payments. As tenants they had no security of tenure .