Explain the terms analogous and homologous organs with examples.
1. Analogous Organs
Their origin and structure are different but function is the same . So they are examples of Convergent Evolution .
- The structure of bat wings is skin stretched over elongated fingers.
- In birds , the arms (wing) is covered in feathers .
- These are called Analogous Characteristics .
2. Homologous Organs
Their origin and structure is similar but their function is different.
This means they evolved differently from a common ancestor . This is known as Divergent Evolution .
- The basic structure of the limbs of frogs, lizards, birds and humans is the same .
- But, their functions are different .
- Hence they are Homologous characteristics.