This question asked in [CBSE Outside Delhi Set I, 2020]
Fill in the blanks in the paragraph given below by choosing the most appropriate options from the ones that follow. Write the answers in your answer-sheet against the correct blank numbers.
Reading books 1 a good hobby. Books open 2 vast new world to us. They increase
3 knowledge and change our outlook 4 the World.
1.(A) has (B) was (C) are (D) is
2.(A) the (B) a (C) an (D) some
3.(A) his (B) one's (C) our (D) your
4.(A) towards (B) for (C) by (D) from
- (a) has - not the first form of verb
- (b) was - not used with present tense
- (c) are - not the correct verb
- (d) is - this is correct
Since the sentence is in simple present tense , the first form of the verb , ‘is’ will be used.
So, the correct answer is “(d)-is”.
- (a) the - not used with unspecified words
- (b) a - this is correct
- (c) an - only used with vowels
- (d) some - the word is not relevant
Since the sentence is talking about an unspecified world , “a” will be used.
So, the correct answer is “(b)-a”.
- (a) his - only used with singular pronouns
- (b) one’s - only used with singular pronouns
- (c) our - this is correct
- (d) yours - not used when we are talking in first person
Since 'they’ is used in the sentence which is a collective noun representing us as a group of people , “our” will be used along with it.
So, the correct answer is “(c)-our”.
- (a) towards - this is correct
- (b) for - this word is not relevant
- (c) by - this word is not relevant
- (d) from - this word is not relevant
Since we are looking at something from our own eyes and mind, “towards” will be used as it helps in pointing out what one is looking at.
So, the correct answer is “(a)-towards”.
Thus, the correct paragraph is
Reading books is a good hobby. Books open a vast new world to us. They increase our knowledge and change our outlook towards the World.