Describe the structure and functioning of nephrons
- Each kidney is made up of a large number of excretory units called nephrons .
- Nephrons have a cup shaped bowman's capsule at the upper end. The lower end of the nephron is a tubule.
Nephron = Bowman's capsule + Tubule
- One end of the tubule is connected to the bowman’s capsule and the other to the urine collecting duct of the kidney.
- Bowman's capsule has a number of small blood capillaries called glomerulus .
- The glomerulus comes from the renal artery bringing blood containing waste and the other connects to the renal vein through the nephron tubule .
- The renal vein carries clean blood .
Therefore, each nephron plays a role in cleaning waste from the blood.