You are given water, mustard oil, glycerine and kerosene. In which of these media a ray of light incident obliquely at same angle would bend the most?
(c) Mustard oil
- A ray of light incident from a rarer to a denser medium bends towards the normal .
- The extent of the light ray bending can be measured by the angle of refraction .
- The angle of refraction will be highest in the medium with the highest refractive index (or optical density).
- Glycerine has the highest refractive index from the given options.
- Hence, light in glycerine would bend light the most.
So, the correct answer is (d)