If a few drops of a concentrated acid accidentally spills over the hand of a student, what should be done?

(A) Wash the hand with saline solution

(B) Wash the hand immediately with plenty of water and apply a paste of sodium hydrogen carbonate

(C) After washing with plenty of water apply solution of sodium hydroxide on the hand

(D) Neutralise the acid with a strong alkali



Answer

 

In order to avoid burning caused by concentrated acid, 

  • we wash the hand immediately with plenty of water 
  • and then, in order to neutralize the acid , we apply a paste sodium hydrogen carbonate

 

Here

  • Water will dilute the acid and wash it out.
  • And the diluted acid will be neutralised by a weak base like sodium hydrogen carbonate

 

We don’t use a strong base like sodium hydroxide because Strong Acid + Strong Base is a highly exothermic reaction and will cause further burns.


So, the correct answer is (b)

  1. Class 10
  2. Chapter 2 Class 10 - Acids, Bases and Salts (Term 1)

About the Author

CA Maninder Singh's photo - Founder at Teachoo
CA Maninder Singh
CA Maninder Singh is a Chartered Accountant for the past 11 years and a teacher from the past 11 years. He teaches Science, Accounts and English at Teachoo