Why is damage to the ozone layer a cause for concern? What steps are being taken to limit this damage?
The layer of ozone gas in the upper atmosphere is known as the ozone layer.
The ozone layer is very important for the existence of life on earth because it absorbs most of the harmful ultraviolet radiation coming from the sun and prevents them from reaching the earth.
Ultraviolet rays can cause various harms such as
- Skin cancer
- Eye disease known as cataract
- Damages the immune system
- It damages the crops
The steps being taken to limit the damages of ultraviolet rays are
- Limiting the use of substances which lead to ozone depletion such as CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons)
- Manufacturers of air conditioners and refrigerators are asked to minimize the use of CFCs in the appliances and use some environmentally friendly alternative.
- Many cleaning substances which damage the promote ozone depletion are banned