Explain some harmful effects of agricultural practices on the environment.
Harmful effects of agricultural practices on the environment are:
- Excessive use of fertilizers alter the soil composition and kill useful microbes.
- Excessive use of groundwater for irrigation lowers the water level.
- Excessive use of chemical pesticides lead to biomagnification.
- Run-off from fertilizer sprayed agricultural lands pollutes water bodies.
- Natural ecosystems are damaged and forests are cleared to make agricultural lands.