Read the following text.
1. Climate change is one of the most pressing and complex issues facing humanity today. It refers to the long-term changes in the Earth’s climate system, such as temperature, precipitation, wind, and ocean currents. Climate change is caused by various natural and human factors, but the main contributor is the increase of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, such as carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide.
5. These gases trap heat from the sun and warm up the planet, creating a greenhouse effect. The impacts of climate change are already visible and alarming in many parts of the world. Some of these impacts include melting glaciers and ice caps, rising sea levels, extreme weather events, droughts, floods, wildfires, biodiversity loss, food insecurity, water scarcity, and human health problems. Climate change also poses serious threats to social
10. and economic development, human rights, peace and security, and global cooperation. However, there is still hope and opportunity to address climate change and its consequences. Many individuals, groups, organizations, and governments are taking action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, adapt to the changing conditions, and support the most vulnerable communities. Some of the actions that can be taken are using renewable
15. energy sources, improving energy efficiency, promoting sustainable transportation and agriculture, conserving natural resources, planting trees, raising awareness, and participating in global initiatives. The issue of climate change requires urgent and collective action from all sectors and levels of society. It is not only a scientific or environmental
20. problem but also a moral and ethical one. It challenges us to rethink our values, lifestyles, and responsibilities towards ourselves, others, and the planet. It also invites us to envision and create a better future for ourselves and generations to come.
What is the main cause of climate change according to the passage?
A) Natural factors
B) Human factors
C) Greenhouse gases
D) Solar radiation
Answer written by the student:
The correct answer is C) Greenhouse gases
Step-by-step explanation of the answer:
To answer this question, we need to identify the main cause of climate change according to the passage. 🕵️♂️
- The passage mentions various natural and human factors that cause climate change, but it also states that the main contributor is the increase of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. 🌎
- Greenhouse gases are gases that trap heat from the sun and warm up the planet, creating a greenhouse effect. Some examples of greenhouse gases are carbon dioxide, methane, and nitrous oxide. 🌡️
Therefore, the correct option is C) Greenhouse gases , as they are the main cause of climate change according to the passage. 🙌