Write one prudential and one moral reason for power sharing.
Points to Remember
- Reduce social conflicts which lead to violence and tension among communities.
- Ensures political stability.
- Accommodating the interest of every community is better than majoritarianism.
- Enhances the democratic spirit.
- To share power with those who have to deal with its cause and effect.
- Acquiring a stake in the system through forming a legitimate govt.
Answer to be written in the exam
Power sharing is desirable in democracy because:
(i) Prudential reasons:
(a) It helps to reduce the possibility of conflict between social groups . Since social conflict often leads to violence and political instability.
(b) It is a good way to ensure the stability of the political order.
(c) Imposing the will of the majority community, over others may look like an attractive option in the short run, but in the long run, it undermines the unity of the nation.
(ii) Moral reasons:
(a) Power sharing is the very spirit of democracy . A democratic rule involves sharing power with those affected by its exercise and who have to live with its effect.
(b) People have the right to be consulted on how they are to be governed .
(c) A legitimate government is one where citizens through participation, acquire a stake in the system.