How is the ethnic composition of Belgium very complex? Explain.
Points to Remember
- 59 percent live in the Flemish region , and another 40 percent of people live in the Wallonia region.
- The rest is German-speaking .
- In Brussels , the majority speak French while the remaining 20 percent are Dutch speaking.
Answer to be written in the exam
The ethnic composition of Belgium is quite complex:
- Of the country’s total population, 59 percent live in the Flemish region and speak the Dutch language . Another 40 percent of people live in the Wallonia region and speak French .
- The remaining 1 percent of the Belgians speak German.
- Brussels presented a unique problem: the Dutch-speaking people constituted a majority in the country, but a minority in the capital because- in Brussels, 80 percent of people speak French while 20 percent are Dutch-speaking.