- In some areas of India, local communities are struggling to conserve habitats along with government officials .
- In Sariska Tiger Reserve , Rajasthan , villagers have fought against mining by citing the Wildlife Protection Act.
- In many areas, villagers themselves are protecting habitats and explicitly rejecting government involvement.
- The inhabitants of five village s of Alwar district of Rajasthan have declared 1,200 hectares of forest as th e Bhairodev Dakav ‘Sonchuri’, declaring their own set of rules and regulations which do not allow hunting , and are protecting the wildlife against any outside encroachments .
- Chipko movement in the Himalayas has not only successfully resisted deforestation in several areas but has also proven that community afforestation with indigeneous species can be enormously successful.
- Farmers and citizens groups like the Beej Bachao Andolan in Tehri and Navdanya have shown that adequate levels of diversified crop production without the use of synthetic chemicals are possible and economically viable.
Community and Conservation - Concepts - Chapter 2 Class 10 Geography - Forest and Wildlife Resources - Geography
Last updated at July 4, 2023 by Teachoo