Biodiversity is the variety of life forms on Earth . It can be defined in different ways, such as:
- The number and types of species in a given area or ecosystem
- The genetic diversity within and among species
- The diversity of ecological functions and interactions among species and their environment
- The diversity of cultural values and practices related to nature
- Biodiversity provides essential goods and services for human well-being , such as food, medicine, materials, pollination, water purification, climate regulation, etc.
- It also supports the resilience and adaptation of ecosystems to changing conditions, such as natural disasters, climate change, invasive species, etc.
It enriches the aesthetic, spiritual, educational and recreational aspects of human life. It contributes to the conservation of the evolutionary potential of life on Earth.