- Flora refers to all the plant life present in a particular region or time.
- Fauna refers to the animals of a particular region, habitat, or geological period.
India is one of the world's richest countries in terms of its vast array of biological diversity.
Flora is the plant life occurring in a particular region. It includes naturally occurring and indigenous native plant life.
The term fauna represents all the animal species found in a particular region at a particular time. These are the naturally occurring animal species of the particular area.
Flora on the verge of Extinction in India
- Some estimates suggest that at least 10 percent of India’s recorded wild flora are on the threatened list.
- Plants like Madhuca insignis
- Hubbardia heptaneuron are now categorized as ‘critical’ and are on the verge of extinction.
Fauna on the verge of Extinction in India
Some estimates suggest that at least 20 percent of India’s recorded mammals are on the threatened list.
- Pink-headed duck
- Mountain quail
- Forest spotted owlets