“Series of changes affected the pattern of Industrialization in India by the early twentieth century.” Analyze the statement.
Points to remember:
Answer to be written in Exam:
In the first decade of the 20th century a series of changes affected the pattern of Industrialisation:
- Nationalists mobilized people to boycott foreign clothes as soon as the Swadeshi movement gathered momentum.
- Industrial groups organize themselves to protect their collective interest.
- Pressured the government to increase tariff protection and grant other concessions.
- The export of Indian yarn to China declined.
- Cotton-piece goods production in India doubled between 1900 and 1912.
- The first world war created a dramatically new situation . With British mills busy with war production to meet the needs of the army, Manchester imports into India declined.
- As the war prolonged, Indian factories were called upon to supply war needs.
(Write any 5 points)