Why did the Elite of Britain prefer Hand-made goods in the mid-nineteenth century? Explain.
Points to remember:
- A range of products could be produced only by hand.
- Machines were oriented to producing uniforms , and standardized goods for the mass market. But the demand in the market was often for goods with intricate designs a nd specific shapes.
- In Victorian Britain, the upper class- Aristocrats and Bourgeoisie preferred things by hand.
Answer to be written in Exam:
The elite of Britain prefer hand made goods in the mid-18th century because-
- Handmade products symbolized refinement and class.
- Handmade products had a better finish.
- Handmade products were produced and designed by individuals.